Hootsuite is the leading social media management platform for businesses and organizations. The SaaS based platform is trusted by over 800 of the Fortune 1000 and serves thousands of enterprises and millions of users in over 150 countries.
To deliver applications with high SLA’s, Hootsuite implemented Sumo Logic machine data analytics platform. The Sumo Logic solution dramatically reduced the total cost of ownership for Hootsuite; the service also helped Hootsuite meet their customer experience needs while enabling internal DevOps/IT team to focus on their core end- user services.
Since implementing Sumo Logic, Hootsuite has seen dramatic business value with Sumo Logic including improved application performance and reduction in problem identification and resolution times: The intuitive correlation of logs and metrics and integrated machine learning makes it easy for Hootsuite operations to quickly identify and fix issues.
Download the full case study to read more.
Hootsuite had a high TCO with their ELK and Graphite stack which made management and administration both time-consuming and expensive. They also didn't have full visibility into their infrastructure which made both monitoring and troubleshooting difficult to manage.
Hootsuite selected Sumo Logic for its overall simplicity and the ability to give their team end-to-end visibility. An added bonus was improving internal team collaboration with shared dashboards and insights.
Hootsuite has seen a marked application performance improvement, reduction in TCO, and the ability to scale with their growth in AWS.
High TCO: Since Hootsuite IT was running ELK and Graphite, they were responsible for configuring, upgrading, scaling and tuning these systems. This meant that expensive Hootsuite resources were dedicated to administer these systems instead of running the Hootsuite service, resulting in high cost of ownership for these solutions.
Tool instability: The systems also had severe stability issues which adversely impacted the IT team and their focus. Now instead of focusing on Hootsuite service issues, Hootsuite IT was focusing on stabilizing their analytics and monitoring solution.
End to end monitoring challenges: Finally, the lack of a comprehensive view - logs, metrics and events - created monitoring and troubleshooting inefficiencies. Operations and DevOps team had to learn and correlate multiple solutions and datasets, which was time consuming and labor intensive and put application KPI’s at risk.
To address these needs, Hootsuite looked at several alternatives before selecting Sumo Logic.
Sumo Logic provides the industry’s first machine data analytics platform to natively ingest, index and analyze metrics and log data together in real-time. The solution is delivered as a cloud-native SaaS based solution, making it easy for customer to adopt and scale the solution. The unified logs and metrics architecture delivers real-time and contextual insight into machine data from applications, infrastructure and services.
As Hootsuite evaluated Sumo Logic, they realized key values that Sumo Logic can provide Hootsuite:
• End to end visibility through real-time dashboards that integrate custom metrics, AWS CloudWatch and infrastructure metrics and display them in intuitive real-time dashboards
• Simplification and acceleration of application troubleshooting by applying advanced analytics and machine-learning algorithms to logs and time-series metrics
• Improved team collaboration by providing richer and real-time insights based on a shared version of the truth to support DevOps and continuous delivery
Since implementing Sumo Logic, Hootsuite has seen dramatic business value with Sumo Logic:
• Improved application performance and reduction in problem identification and resolution times: The intuitive correlation of logs and metrics and integrated machine learning makes it easy for Hootsuite operations to quickly identify and fx issues.
• Dramatically reduced TCO: With the Sumo Logic unified solution, Hootsuite has consolidated multiple open source solution into one platform. Furthermore, since the Sumo Logic solution is entire SaaS based, Hootsuite no longer has to manage their analytics solution. The solution is easy to adopt, and requires no configuration/fine tuning. Lastly, the solution provides uptime and performance SLA’s - Hootsuite operations know that the Sumo Logic service is always available and ready to serve their customers.
• Scalable solution with built in future-proofing: As a highly scalable SaaS offering, Sumo Logic can handle any amount of machine data volume. As Alex states “Hootsuite now has a solution that will scale seamlessly as they grow”.
• Easy adoption of AWS data: Sumo Logic provides out of the box apps for most key AWS services (EC2, S2, RDS, CloudTrail, VPC flow logs, Lambda etc.), which makes it easy for customers to instantly ingest and analyze data from these services